Today we are back with our regular feature ‘Advice from the Married Side,‘ real life wedding planning advice from all the lovely brides and grooms I have featured on the blog.
I get to feature so many amazing real weddings here on the blog and with each wedding I ask the couple to share with us their wedding planning knowledge and experiences. This post is a super useful collection of wedding wisdom from those who have just got married, to help you on your own wedding planning journey. I hope there will be something amongst these experiences that help you. Happy Planning!
photo by Liene Petersone – full wedding HERE
- Be flexible with each other and listen to what the other person has to say, at the end this is the day for both of you.
- Be prepared to go through ALL the emotions when you get your photos back as you relive the day over and over.
- If you have the chance and it’s in your budget, do a day after/trash the dress shoot. It was so much fun and a really nice, intimate way to finish off the celebration. And the pictures turned out incredible!
- We started our ceremony at 1pm and if we did it again would bring this earlier to make the day longer. Everyone says it – but it goes so crazy fast.
- Read your own vows. We were both so nervous to do it, but it ended up being the most special moment of the entire day.
- Don’t forget to include tips and thank you presents in your budget!
photo by Aaron Collett – full wedding HERE
- Don’t sweat the small stuff, I meticulously planned lots of things like my perfume and my jacket, forgot both on the day, but it literally didn’t matter!
- Cover the essentials and make sure everyone has a drink and a full stomach as early as possible! Then do what you want to do and not what should be done at a wedding.
- Take time to plan and work out an order of priorities on where to spend your money. You may have different views on this and need to compromise somewhat but it’s important to work out what are your non-negotiables and what you are happy to forgo.
- Pull in those favours from your talented friends!
- If you’re getting married abroad, I can’t recommend enough getting a wedding planner, they have all the best contacts and know what will and won’t work within your budget. They speak the language and take the stress away on the day so you can focus on enjoying your big day without having to sweat the little bits.
- The only advise I would give other couples is to try and enjoy the planning of the wedding as much as the day itself. Planning such a big event is hard, but could be a lot of fun and doesn’t have to lead to a nervous break-down because “there is just so much to do” or “everything is so expensive”
photo by Trin Jensen Photography. – full wedding HERE
Make the day your own
- It’s your day-you (hopefully!) only get to do this once, so make sure it’s exactly what you and your partner want it to be-try not to be influenced by what others want.
- Do what YOU want to do and forget about what other people say you SHOULD do.
- Focus on what really means a lot to you and try not to be influenced by everyone else.
- Plan the wedding just as you want it, don’t try to follow any habits or rules that you don’t like.
- Coming from families with strong styles and opinions, it was easy to get caught up and stressed trying to satisfy both sides that often we forgot that as much as it is about family it is also about us (the couple). It is very important to step back and talk about your vision as a couple and compromise on incorporating important details both families want.
- You do not have to adhere to all the ceremony and reception wedding traditions. Do your research on the traditions, and choose what is most real and true to you and your partner.
- Writing your own vows may seem intimidating, scary, and too vulnerable, but in the end, you feel more connected to the ceremony and the loved ones attending, and also it is amazing to hear the sound of your partner’s voice reading their love letter to you.
photo by Karina Leonenko Photography – full wedding HERE
- Enjoy it, take it all in, everything will fall into place even if there is a wind storm on the day! It shouldn’t be stressful, it should just be good fun from start to finish.
- Worry less and party more.
- If you are like me and hate planning the logistical stuff, get a venue that does it all for you. That was a life-saver!
- Try not to be too fixed about what you think the day will be like, it will evolve as you plan things and even on the day. Just go with the flow and enjoy being with the people you love.
- When you are first engaged, take a second to enjoy the moment. Then, have an open discussion on the things that are most important to each of you, and the things that are not so important. Hold tight and continuously come back to those things as you make choices.
Photo by Petar Begov Photography. – Full wedding HERE
On the day
- Just enjoy it & LIVE IN THE MOMENT!
- Everyone that attends your wedding will have a blast, and will not notice all the little things that you know about that haven’t quite gone to plan on the day.
- People always tell you how fast your day goes by, and looking back it was a blur. I think that is why it was so important to us to have great photos and video to be able to remember it all.
- It’s the biggest joy of your life to see every single person you love, gathered in one room to celebrate you, and the blissful atmosphere and smiling faces of friends and family truly is the most sensational love in the world.
- My advice for future brides and grooms is to not stress yourself to speak to everyone that is invited, because it was one thing that really stressed me out. Just focus on you and your husband and try to enjoy the day as much as possible.
photo by Ryan Goold Photography – full wedding HERE
I hope you found these pieces of advice helpful. If you are already married is there anything you would like to add ? Was there anything in these words of wisdom that has resonated with you?
Is there something you would particularly like to ask me for advice? any questions just email me [email protected]
BIG BOHO LOVE