RECIPE: Vegetarian carbonara by Andy Harmer, chef of Brisbane restaurant Bianca
- 4 eggs
- 200ml chilli oil (50ml per egg)
- 450g linguini (or spaghetti)
- 1 bunch broccoli spigarello
- Aged Grana Padano parmesan cheese
For more Food related news and videos check out Food >>
- Place a square piece of cling film in a small bowl or cup covering surface area, add 50ml of chilli oil, then add 1 cracked egg.
- Bring all four corners together above the egg, pinch and twist to remove any air, then tie off with a short piece of string. Repeat with all eggs.
- Place two pots of water on the stove, when boiling, place the cling film eggs in one pot, and the pasta in the other for 3 minutes.
- When the timer reaches 2 minutes 30 seconds add the spigarello to the pot containing the pasta.
- When the 3 minutes is complete, remove the cling film eggs from the water and reserve until needed, then strain off the pasta and spigarello in a colander.
- Season the pasta and spigarello with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Twist round a roasting fork or pair of tongs, then place onto a plate, making a little dip in the middle.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut the cling film at the top near the string to allow the egg to slide out.
- Place egg in the small dip of pasta, season with salt and pepper, cover with grated parmesan.
$15 meal serves 4 people. $3.75 per serve.