Watch Matt & KT cook this dessert in episode 11 of MKR on 7plus.
Prep time: 40 mins + marinating Cook time: 20 mins Serves: 4
Watch My Kitchen Rules on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
- Edible flowers, to decorate
KAKADU PLUM JAM
- 1kg Kakadu plums
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 500g caster sugar
- 500ml water
- 360ml milk
- 220g caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 750ml thickened cream
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup freeze-dried finger lime
- ¼ cup dried rose petals
- 375g caster sugar
- 125ml water
- To make Kakadu plum jam, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until plums are very soft. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend to form a puree. Pass through a sieve and discard solids. Cool jam.
- To make ice cream, using an electric mixer, whisk milk, sugar and salt on low speed until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Once frozen to soft serve consistency, transfer to a freezer proof container and swirl through cold Kakadu plum jam.
- To make brittle, line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Spread nuts, dried finger lime and rose petals on tray in a single layer.
- Stir sugar and the water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until golden brown. Carefully pour caramel over nut mixture on prepared tray. Cool until set. Break into pieces.
- Serve ice cream with brittle. Decorate with edible flowers.