News

Nick Kyrgios charged with assault against ex-girlfriend

Tennis star Nick Kyrgios is due to face court after allegedly assaulting his former girlfriend late last year.

The Canberra Times reported the charge relates to an allegation Kyrgios grabbed his ex-partner Chiara Passari.

The 27-year-old, who will face Chilean Cristian Garin in a quarterfinal clash at Wimbledon on Wednesday, is reportedly due to appear in a Canberra court next month.

Watch the latest sport on Channel 7 or stream for free on 7plus >>

“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” police said on Tuesday.

Barrister Jason Moffett told The Times he had been briefed in the matter and Kyrgios was aware of the charge.

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Moffett said.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.

“Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”

The maximum sentence for the charge is two years.

Source link
[the_ad id=”1767″]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.